Monday, January 2, 2012

Bits and Bobs

Since I haven't been blogging very much the last few months, I wanted to do a post about what I've been up to so that I can remember in the years to come. So here is what has been going on with me:
  • I discovered that I can get a French man.icure that lasts for weeks. Since finding this out, I have become hooked. I always liked the look, but never wanted fake nails. Now they make a nail polish that lasts for weeks so I can have the look I want with my own nails.
  • I took a few days off over Christmas so that between my vacation and paid days, I would get a week and a half off work. It has been one of the awesomest stay-cations I've ever had. I got soooo much done!
  • My house was deep cleaned and reorganized. Our downstairs bookcase went up into Baby Bean's room where her changing table moved out and up into the attic. The rocker glider that was in her room went into my room where my husband's dresser was, which was relocated to another part of the room.
  • Our garage got cleaned out... again.
  • I put together one awesome Christmas for my little family. I even had the opportunity to host a neighbor for Christmas dinner who had no other plans for that day. She is a lovely gal who loves to talk, and I love to listen, so it was great having her over. We thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • I got a cavity filled (the first in more than 10 years, but that is what happens when you don't go to the dentist for three years). But what is most impressive about this is I did it without being numbed. My dentist and her assistant were shocked when I requested to not be numbed and tried to talk me out of it. The way I saw it, it couldn't hurt worse than anything infertility had put me through. I was right. It was a cake walk.
  • Sadie ripped off two of her back toe nails, each a week apart, and both requiring vet attention. I'm still not sure how it happened, but I am guessing she got them caught in the carpet while trying to run around a corner. I trim my dog's nails monthly, so I am still surprised she was able to tear them.
  • I felt like I did an awesome job at giving presents this year. I put a lot of thought into what I got people so that I could get them something they wanted or would really enjoy.
  • I started the S.outh B.each D.iet and am currently in Phase I. I tried doing this years ago when we were new in the IF ring. Needless to say, it was more difficult than I could handle then, and so it failed. This time, however, I feel confident that I can do it. I am in a much better mental place, and also a much better cook. It has been going really well so far. Just like nursing, they first two weeks are the hardest, so I know if I can conquer them, the rest is easy sailing. (No, this is not a new year's resolution. I don't do those.)
  • We got a new roof and spray foam in our attic. I can honestly say the spray foam makes a big difference. The upstairs retains heat like no one's business. I realize we have had a warm winter here in Texas, but our upstairs is 77 degrees at bed time. As they say, heat rises.
  • We started going back to church, and plan to keep going. (Again, not a new year's resolution.)
I think that is everything. I've been meaning to write about all of these things for some time, but my old laptop died and we had so much going on with the holidays that it just never happened. Right now, life is good.

7 comments:

*Jess* said...

we would love to do that spray foam insulation. Our bonus room is off our attic and it gets SO hot in there!

Life Happens said...

You've been super busy!! I hope you will have tons of blessings in the new year. And yay for going to church!!!

Heather said...

It has been such a treat to wake up and see your name in my blog feed-I've missed you!

Potters said...

It's great to see you blogging. I enjoy getting caught up on you. I hope your diet and church attendance goes well. I think you could really enjoy RS.

Mazzy said...

These are all wonderful things! Was the manicure that shellac stuff I keep hearing about? I am DYING TO TRY. If I ever get 5 spare seconds alone and out of the house again.

We did the spray foam insulation and solar screens when we bought this house because a copy of the previous owners' electric bill for a summer month terrified us. I'd have to say I agree that it was a great decision.

I try to get dental work done without novacaine if they'll let me, too! It is totally no big deal like so many ppl think it is. That novacaine crap is actually worse, the steroids they put in it make my heartrate go through the roof. No thank you!

Awesome about church. I hope you enjoy getting back in to it... my life always seems to improve DRASTICALLY whenever we make the decision to really hone in and work on that area of our lives.

xoxo
Mel

S.I.F. said...

Are you talking about Shellac? That stuff is ah-mazing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, such an awesome Christmas and I can't blame your daughter for not wanting to open any other gifts. 2011 was madness and busy, crazy but I felt like it was a learning year for most folks and 2012 is gonna be the year where we apply that knowledge. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year!