Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Dollhouse

Years ago, when I was around 7 or 8, my parents bought me a dollhouse for either Christmas or my birthday, I don't remember which. It was the kind that came in a flat box and that had to be assembled.  My dad and I spent weeks working on the dollhouse, putting it together and making it look awesome. My mother had taken me to a toy store that specialized in dollhouse materials and we bought wallpaper and carpet. Once the house was built and done on the inside, one of my very talented aunts painted it for me.

I played in this dollhouse for many years. It was definitely my favorite toy to play with growing up. When I was about 14, I re-wallpapered the house. At the time I thought it would be great for when I had my own children.

Little Bean, Hubs, and I went to my parent's house for the 4th of July, and I had decided it was time to send the dollhouse back to our home. So I packed it up and shipped it here. I had also decided that I was going to fix it up with the help of Little Bean, making it an heirloom. From one generation to the next.

Shortly after it arrived here, Little Bean and I went to the craft store. As scrapbooking is such a popular hobby right now, I was able to outfit the house will all new wallpaper, carpet, baseboards, and chair rails for around $50. I then spent around $100 putting in lighting and buying other miscellaneous decoratve items.

I am far from done with the house, but for now, the decorating is done. It is now only a matter of adding new furniture.

For all of my friends and family who have long been awaiting this reveal, I give you the following presentaion!


6 comments:

Life Happens said...

Wow! You did an amazing job updating the doll house. How awesome that you can pass this little treasure down to baby bean!

Matt and Crystal said...

I remember playing with that doll house with you. I so wanted one of my very own :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, seriously, you should go into doll house interior design or something. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for a successful treatment.

Unknown said...

I love it!!! I remember the dollhouse I had growing up. Your's reminds me so much of mine! What fun for LB! Can't put a price on an heirloom like that. I hope she loves it as much as you loved it. :)

twondra said...

What an amazing thing to be able to give to Little Bean! Wow. I'm so impressed! It's beautiful!!

Suzanne said...

Absolutely beautiful! Baby Bean will love it! I really enjoy miniatures. I have two dollhouses myself, one that my grandfather made for me and that makes it all the more special. I'm glad that you were able to hand this down to Baby Bean :)